Extractions of teeth can happen due to problematic teeth.
EXTRACTIONS FAMILY DENTIST POINT COOK
Removing problematic teeth that could lead to future problems.
Why would I need an Extraction?
Below are a few reasons why a tooth extraction can be recommended:
- There is severe decay in your tooth.
- There is a cyst or an ulcer that may have developed.
- To help with gum disease.
- The tooth has become infected.
- There is severe pain and tenderness in the affected area.
- The root has been broken or the bone has been fractured.
- To remove the wisdom teeth that is troublesome or causing discomfort.
- There is food particles trapped in the tooth.
What happens if I do not get a damaged tooth extracted?
What is the extraction procedure?
- You will be injected with of a local anesthetic to numb the area where the tooth will be removed.
- Then if the tooth is impacted, the gum and bone tissue that cover the tooth will be cut off.
- A pair of forceps will be used to grasp the tooth and gently loosen it from the jaw bone.
- A blood clot forms after the tooth has been pulled, therefore, a gauze pad will be given to you to bite on to stop the bleeding.
What aftercare do I need after the procedure?
- Recovery from a tooth extraction can take a few days. The instructions below can help with discomfort, reduce the risk of infections and speed up your recovery time.
- Take painkillers as prescribed.
- Bite firmly but gently on the gauze pad to reduce bleeding.
- Change gauze pads after every two to three hours after extraction.
- Apply an ice bag for ten minutes at a time immediately after the procedure to help bring down the swelling.
- Avoid rinsing, spitting, drinking from a straw and strenuous activity for at least 24 hours.
- The next day rinse with your mouth with salt water.
- Avoid smoking.
- Eat soft foods, such as soup or yogurt.
- When brushing and flossing your teeth, try to avoid affected area to prevent infections.
Extracting teeth is a simple process but the thought of having a tooth removed can be daunting. If you have any worries or questions about your teeth or need to book an appointment, contact us today!
Root Canal Therapy
Our Practice & Core Values
At SOHO dental our mission is to deliver the highest quality care along with unprecedented customer service at an affordable price. We are committed to delivering the very best results for you whether it’s delivering that perfect smile, or helping you achieve total oral wellness.