Root Canal Treatment
Root canal treatment can restore infected or damaged teeth.
ROOT CANAL THERAPY POINT COOK
Root Canal Treatment
A restorative treatment used to prevent tooth loss or extraction.
It may need removing if the tooth is damaged, infected, or has been affected by tooth grinding. Root Canal treatment is used as a last resort measure to prevent the need for it to be extracted. A root canal treatment gives the tooth a longer life and helps to restore back to its natural self.
Why would I need root canal treatment?
Root canal treatment is needed if:
- The pulp which is the soft tissue found in the root canal of your tooth has developed an infection.
- The tooth and gum tissues become tender and sensitive.
- There is severe and constant pain in the mouth.
- There is difficulty when chewing.
- The tooth has developed deep tooth decay.
- There is a crack or chip on the tooth due to trauma or accidents.
- The tooth begins to discolour.
What does the procedure involve?
Before the procedure begins, our friendly and professional dentist at Soho Dental will take an X-ray of your tooth, which is then followed by a local anaesthetic. This will numb the tooth and can help reduce the pain during the procedure.
Once the tooth is numbed, a rubber dam will be placed across the tooth to make sure that the tooth and surrounding area is clean and free from saliva, the tongue and bacteria. This can prevent the tooth from becoming contaminated and give the dentist a better view of the tooth during the procedure.
After the rubber dam has been placed, an opening is made to get to the inside of the tooth using a drill. The canals are then shaped, cleaned and rid of all the unhealthy, dead or damaged pulp tissue with thin files.
When cleaning and shaping is complete, an antiseptic paste is used to get rid of all remaining bacteria. Thereafter, the canals are sealed with special adhesive cement and a rubber-like material called gutta-percha.
How do I look after my teeth after the treatment?
- Make sure you take all medication as prescribed and return to the dentist for your follow up appointment.
- Try not to bite on treated tooth.
- Avoid foods that are crunchy or hard.
- Be gentle when you are brushing or flossing your teeth, especially the treated area.
Root canal treatment can prevent tooth loss and extraction; therefore, it is important to get your tooth checked if it has been damaged or infected. Contact us today to find out more about the root canal service we offer or to book an appointment!
Our Practice & Core Values
At SOHO dental our mission is to deliver the highest quality care along with unprecedented customer service at an affordable price. We are committed to delivering the very best results for you whether it’s delivering that perfect smile, or helping you achieve total oral wellness.