Impacted wisdom teeth can lead to a variety of problems.
WISDOM TEETH POINT COOK
What are Wisdom Teeth?
Problems with impacted wisdom teeth:
Problems with an impacted wisdom tooth can only happen if the tooth has become infected, affects and damages other teeth surrounding it or causes other dental problems. If these signs occur then you may experience the following problems:
- Jaw pain and swollen gums.
- Red, tender or bleeding gums.
- Infection or gum disease.
- Bad breathe and an awful taste in your mouth.
- Tooth decay.
- Teeth that are surrounding the impacted wisdom tooth can become damaged.
- You may experience difficulty opening your mouth.
What happens if I do not remove my impacted wisdom teeth?
One of the issues could be the development of a cyst around the impacted tooth. This could damage the teeth next to it
Another issue is the risk of infection of the tooth or gums which could cause discomfort or pain.
Plaque and bacteria could get stuck in between the teeth and is difficult to clean because they are positioned at the back of the mouth. This could lead to tooth decay and damage your healthy teeth.
What is the wisdom teeth extraction procedure?
- The duration of the procedure is about 45 minutes.
- The mouth is first numbed by a local anaesthesia.
- This will help you feel no pain during the removal of the wisdom tooth.
- After your mouth has been numbed, you may be asked to breathe in some gas through a mask to make you fall asleep or drowsy during the procedure.
- When the anaesthesia has numbed the mouth and you are drowsy or asleep and you feel no pain, our dentist will slowly and gently begin to pull out the wisdom tooth that has been affected.
What is the aftercare needed for after the procedure?
- Expect discomfort and swelling for at least three days after the wisdom tooth has been removed from your mouth.
- To reduce swelling, make use of an ice bag.
- It may take a few weeks for your mouth to heal completely.
- It is recommended to consume foods that are soft and won’t cause any pain to the affected area.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- Rinse gently with salt water when brushing your teeth and avoid the area from which the wisdom tooth was extracted
- Avoid smoking after your wisdom tooth is removed to help to speed up recovery.
If you have a question about your wisdom teeth, or want to book an appointment, contact us today!
Root Canal Therapy
Our Practice & Core Values
At SOHO dental our mission is to deliver the highest quality care along with unprecedented customer service at an affordable price. We are committed to delivering the very best results for you whether it’s delivering that perfect smile, or helping you achieve total oral wellness.