What is Denture?
A denture is an appliance that is used to replace missing teeth and restore the function of your jaw. It is made of either a metal or acrylic base which is called a plate. This fits over the bone and soft tissue of your jaw.
Acrylic material is used to design the teeth because it resembles the natural colour of teeth.
Who needs Dentures?
- People who have lost all or some of their teeth require dentures.
- People who want to improve their speech and chewing ability.
- People whose facial features have collapsed due to missing teeth.
Different types of Dentures:
At Soho Dental, we have a range of dentures to suit your oral needs. The two main types include:
- A complete or full denture – These replace all of the natural teeth in the upper or lower jaws. There are various types of full dentures.
- Conventional full dentures – are made and inserted after teeth have been removed and the tissues have healed. Healing may take several months.
- Immediate full dentures – are inserted immediately after teeth have been removed.
- A partial denture – These fill in the gaps of missing teeth and are attached to your natural teeth with metal clasps. It can be removable or fixed.
The advantages of Dentures:
- All or some of your missing teeth can be replaced with Dentures.
- Dentures allow you to improve your bite and speech.
- Dentures can enhance your nutritional needs by providing you with the opportunity to eat a wide variety of food which was restricted when your teeth were missing.
The disadvantages of dentures:
- Dentures can move because they are not fixed onto your jaw.
- It may change the natural appearance of your face over time.
- Infections could be caused by dentures due to poor hygiene and maintenance.
- Can cause bad denture breathe.
- They need to be washed thoroughly every day and stored in a glass of cold water before bedtime, which could make them slightly difficult to manage.